Are you interested in immigrating to Greece? Our team immigration lawyers in Greece can help you if you wish to relocate to this beautiful and culturally rich Mediterranean country.
Like all other countries, Greece has a national migration policy that makes it mandatory for citizens of foreign states to comply with certain requirements. Because the country is a Member State, EU nationals will benefit from the free movement of persons law as well as the laws that protect the rights of workers within the Union. Other nationals will be subject to different conditions and understanding these is important prior to arrival in the country.
Our immigration lawyer in Greece offers complete pre and post-arrival immigration services as well as ongoing assistance whilst filling in the visa or the residence permit application forms. Are you interested in how we can help make your transition easier? Read below to find out more about how to immigrate to Greece.
Your guide to applying for the right visa type
Our immigration services in Greece start with assistance for choosing the right type of visa and determining the documents that are necessary for the submission. Once you arrive in the country, our team will also be able to assist you with other information and services, as needed.
The visas that are awarded for long-term stays in the country (the national visa type D) include the following:
- Work: foreign nationals who wish to work in Greece can obtain a visa for this purpose; the visa can be granted for employment (regular and special purpose) as well as for an independent economic activity;
- Investment: for those who are willing to invest in the country and can prove that their business or activity will have a positive influence on the country’s economy (with the project being subject to expert evaluation);
- Financially independent persons: for individuals with sufficient resources to cover their costs for living in the country; it can be an option for those who wish to retire in Greece and have pensions or other forms of income;
- Study: for foreign nationals who have been admitted to a higher education institution in the country and will attend full-time courses as their primary activity;
- Family reunification: allows the right to enter the country for family members of a foreign national who is already residing in Greece.
The Ministry of Interior, more specifically the division for the Migration Policy as well as the Asylum Service deal with the immigration cases. One of our immigration lawyers in Greece can provide updated information on the latest regulations as well as any legislative changes that may occur. We remind foreign nationals that the currency policy distinguishes between visa and visa-free countries. We can provide details on the requirements according to the individuals’ country of origin.
Assistance during the visa application process
As seen above, all those who are interested in immigrating to Greece need to apply for the right type of visa and afterward for a residence permit that will grant them the right to stay and engage in specific activities.
The list of documents required for each type of visa will depend on the scope of the stay. This means that there are a number of basic documents, requested in all cases, and a set of visa-specific ones such as the employment contract, the proof of investment, the letter of acceptance for a Greek education institution or University or proof of family ties for reunification purposes. The number of supporting documents can differ according to the length and the scope of the stay, this is why we recommend getting in touch with one of our immigration lawyers in Greece as soon as you start to put together all of the documents. Our team can guide you so that you may know the exact requirements and reduce the chance of having your visa application rejected on grounds that include incomplete submissions.
Ongoing post-arrival assistance when moving to Greece
Obtaining the right type of visa that will allow you to live in Greece is just the first step after deciding to move here. Our team of immigration lawyers in Greece knows that there are many practical issues to be solved post-arrival and can provide assistance with the following:
- Renting or buying property: we can assist individuals who wish to rent or purchase real estate by guiding them throughout the mandatory phases and providing information about the lawful form for the rent or purchase agreement;
- Opening a bank account: this is a mandatory step after arrival and we can guide those who are in need of further information or advice;
- Resolve tax matters: paying taxes and registering for taxation purposes may require assistance at first; our team of Greece immigration agents is here to help;
- Signing contracts: we can assist those who are interested in signing utility contracts and are unsure of the process or do not speak the language that well just yet;
- Others: we can help you with information about how to enroll your children in a chosen school or kindergarten as well as offer advice on civic integration.
This is just a short guide of the services that our immigration lawyer in Greece provides for our clients. Please keep in mind that each visa application is as unique as the individual or the family who submits it and the requirements, although largely the same, may differ from one case to another.
Greece is a country that is attractive to foreign nationals looking to work in tourism as well as other key investment sectors as well as for those looking to obtain residency by investment. Data from Eurostat reveals the following:
- in 2017, the total number of immigrants in Greece was 112,200;
- 17,200 were citizens of EU member states;
- 63,300 were non-EU-nationals;
- 31,700 were nationals.
Our immigration lawyer in Greece is ready to answer any questions and guide you throughout your important relocation phase. Contact us for more details about the services we provide to clients worldwide.