Under regular terms, in order to immigrate to Greece from Ukraine, a foreign national would be required to obtain a job with a Greek employer or do business in the country.
As a result of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Greece, along with other European countries, has implemented a system designed to temporarily reduce the usual requirements for migrants.
Read below to find out more about your rights as a Ukrainian migrant in Greece.
If you wish to immigrate to Greece from Ukraine, our team can assist you.
Ukrainian nationals can move to Greece with our help. We provide complete information on the entry requirements, the options for seeking asylum, as well as how you can easily reunite with your family members. Please reach out to us as soon as possible, before your entry into the country if you are able to so that our team can provide you with adequate guidance.
Our immigration lawyers in Greece are here to help answer any questions and guide you through the process.
Table of Contents
What is temporary protection?
Many European states have responded to the Russian invasion of Ukraine by offering support and solutions for displaced Ukrainian nationals.
An EU Council decision provides that these nationals are to be granted temporary protection and Greece has also adopted this measure, transposing it into its national legislation concerning immigrants.
Arrival in Greece, and remaining in the country temporarily, has been simplified for Ukrainian nationals. The following rules apply:
- those entering with biometric or non-biometric passports can remain in the country for 90 days without a visa;
- Ukrainian citizens without a passport can enter through Promachonas and can also remain for a maximum of 90 days;
- Ukrainian nationals are granted temporary protection for 1 year; this allows them to access the labor market and access medical care.
- the permit awarded for 1 year grants the holder a tax identification number and a social security number.
If you need specialized assistance after having entered Greece by land or air, our Greece immigration specialists will answer your questions as soon as possible.
While these solutions do not grant permanent residency, which can be the basis to immigrate to Greece from Ukraine, they can represent the first step towards finding employment and remaining in the country for long-term purposes.
What are the solutions available to Ukrainians arriving in Greece?
The Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum implements the year-long temporary protection for Ukrainian nationals, along with the subsequent measures of allowing access to the labor market.
In addition to these, Ukrainians can:
- Have access to accommodation: applications for short-term accommodation in certain areas are possible through a special form; our team can assist those interested;
- Have access to education: a special online platform has been created for children in different grades; electronic textbooks are available;
- Have access to a support line: in collaboration with mental health professionals, some of which Ukrainians who have had relevant training;
- Benefit for solutions for children: unaccompanied minors are subject to a special transfer regime to accommodation facilities and identification for guardianship.
How can you immigrate to Greece from Ukraine?
The measures in force for displaced persons from Ukraine assist not only with temporary stay but also with opportunities for integration and employment in the country.
Foreign nationals who wish to start the process needed to immigrate to Greece from Ukraine once they have arrived in the country as displaced individuals can reach out to our team of experts.
Our team is able to answer all questions regarding residency, citizenship, as well as others.
We also provide services for those interested in various types of visas, such as the nomad visa.
If retirement to Greece is suitable in your case, our team will give you more information about this option. We will give you details about the minimum income requirements, the initial entry and stay conditions, and how you can renew your visa which will allow you to remain in the country once you are past the retirement age.
Are you not a Ukrainian national but you have questions about residency or citizenship in Greece? Our team assists foreign nationals from any country who are interested in knowing more about their options when it comes to remaining in the country for long-term or indefinite periods of time. You can reach out to our team before you submit your application to the Greek authorities for an evaluation of your case.
Foreign nationals from other countries, such as the United States, can reach out to us if they wish to immigrate to Greece.
If you are looking to apply for a residence permit in Greece and have a different nationality than those mentioned in this article, please feel free to reach out to us to find out more about the conditions that apply in your case. Our team can give you personalized information so that you can apply for the right type of permit, in due time and by submitting all the needed documents.